We’ve had a fairly productive weekend, readers. Our closet organization projects have been in the works since we went Ikea shopping in January, and as of this morning, they are both DONE. Like dinner. Stick a fork in it.
Let’s begin with the final update to the dining room closet. When you last saw it, the shelves were up, but I was undecided about the paint colour for the shelves and the dresser. Well, indecisiveness be gone! I made a choice, and I painted them both a few weekends ago. With my wonky every-other-weekend-off schedule, I find it easiest and most manageable to attack my DIY projects when I have the whole weekend to putter away at them. I could very well do them a little bit each night after work, but I choose not to. I wasn’t in a real hurry to get the closets finished, but I was getting tired of the piles of closet stuff that were left homeless while I took my time puttering.
The colour I chose for the shelves and dresser was one shade lighter than the light grey we used in a few other places in our house. Fossil Grey by CIL is on the walls in our bedroom, basement rec room, and bathroom, so I chose Stratosphere to lighten up the closet.
The dresser got shifted out into the living room temporary while I painted and listened to This American Life.
I primed the dresser and the shelves first since they were both raw wood, and then each got two coats of paint (SICO furniture paint with a melamine finish). The shelves took twice as long because I had to let one side completely dry before I could turn it over and paint the back. I finished them last week and had them sitting in the closet and everything, but it took until yesterday to screw them onto the brackets so I could actually put something with weight on the shelf.
And now on to bigger fish – the office closet. I started this at the same time as the painting that was happening in the dining room closet. The priming and hole-filling began, with my efforts focused on covering up this monstrosity:
The first coat of primer didn’t do much:
That one shelf in the closet was taken out, to be returned later. Our plan was to have three simple shelves evenly spaced in the closet, making use of the one that was already there. I removed the bar and got rid of it, and the shelf was just sitting on the wooden supports attached to the wall.
I began my most favourite of tasks, cutting in with paint in all the corners and edges:
I powered through the first coat while I was waiting for the dining room closet coats to dry.
Second coat done, and we’re moving on to phase two.
We went on a mini Rona trip and bought wood for the shelves. When Dan was cutting down the dining room closet shelf boards to size, he was also cutting notches out of the shelf boards for the office closet, to accommodate the duct work in the corner. He also cut a few sticks to the correct sizes for us to screw them to the walls to support the rest of the shelves. After the painting was done, I marked and measured where the supports would go:
My next step was painting all the supports and shelves, so I worked away at that over the last week or so. These had the same treatment as the dining room shelves – primer, then two coats of paint, with the annoying extra wait time between flipping boards over to paint the back. The colour I chose for the shelves is Picton by CIL, a nice muted violet colour. I didn’t want anything too obnoxious or bright, and I took my colour combination inspiration from a desk organizer I have for my side of the office. Also from my bright purple desk.
While we were playing with the drill, we also put up our fabric panel sliding “doors” for the closet, to finally replace the terrible bifold doors that we removed the first week we moved in. We bought all the pieces for them during our Ikea trip in January, including the perfectly -sized-just-cut-it-to-the-length-you-need-it curtain panels.
We chose two panels so they could overlap and completely cover the opening. The tracks for the panels are sold in single or triple tracks, so we chose the triple track and only used two of them for our needs.
We received an Amazon gift card for our wedding, and we were waiting until we had something really good to buy with it, rather than just buying a bunch of random crap. The inspiration struck in January to buy a coffee table for the basement, but we were disappointed when our preferred table of choice was back ordered for 6-8 weeks and they wouldn’t ship it. I waited for those 6-8 weeks to try ordering it again, and found that the seller no longer existed on Amazon. Shoot. We went back to the drawing board to pick a new table, and she’s a beaut!
The most ridiculously packaged parcel arrived at our door on Tuesday, and Dan wrestled with it and ripped it apart to get at the table. The remaining cardboard bits had to be taped together to make it fit to put out for recycling day.
The wheels are my favourite part. It rolls so nicely over the carpet. Oh, and that too. We bought an area rug for the basement during that January Ikea trip. It really cozies up the space. We’ve already spilled stuff on it twice.
Next up from your favourite home owners, Simon finally starts work on the basement bathroom.